Banner

Tuesday 16 November 2010

SIDDIKUR MAKES HISTORY at Singapore Open Golf 2010 successa



Siddikur Rahman became the first Bangladeshi golfer to win on the Asian Tour after the 25-year-old held his nerve to edge out Jbe Kruger in a play-off to win the Brunei Open at the Empire Hotel and Country Club.

Starting the day tied for the lead with Ben Leong, Siddikur carded a four-under-par 67 to finish 16-under. However, a bogey at the last when he missed a 15-foot putt proved costly as Kruger went one better with a 66 to force the play-off.But there was no repeat as Siddikur parred the 18th, the first extra hole, to take the title after Kruger missed his putt from 10 feet.

"It is very exciting. I'm the first Bangladeshi to play on the Asian Tour and in the two years that I'm on Tour, I have won a tournament. It is unbelievable," said Siddikur.

"I didn't expect to win. Thankfully, everything in my game clicked and I was able to win. I hope to inspire more people to take up the game of golf in Bangladesh. This is a good victory for me and my country."


Adam Scott hopes his third Singapore Open title triumph on Monday will act as a springboard for an assault on golf's four major tournaments next year.

The Australian completed a final-round 68 after the tournament went into a fifth day following weather disruptions, finishing on 17-under-par 267 -- three shots clear of Denmark's second-placed Anders Hansen.

The victory, his first at Sentosa since the Asian Tour event became co-sanctioned by the European Tour last year, launched him back into the top-20 of golf's world rankings.

No comments:

Post a Comment