Banner

Friday, 4 February 2011

New Killer virus is Nipah attract in Bangladesh: IEDCR


The virus that killed 14 people at Hatibandha Upazila in Lalmonirhat in the last four days has been identified as Nipah.

Director of the Institute of Epidemiology Diseases Control and Research (IEDCR) Mahmudur Rahman told reporters on Friday afternoon that they have been able to identify the virus through tests.

The outbreak of the virus was first marked a week back in the area. A team of IEDCR started working to identify the cause on Wednesday following a number of deaths.

The director also said 22 cases of infections have been recorded so far and 14 of them have died. The death toll was also confirmed by Hatibandha Upazila Executive Officer (UNO) Mohammad Ashrafuzzaman.

However, locals claimed that at least 19 have died as of Friday, while Hatibandha Upazila Health Complex physician Bimol Kumar Roy put the number of infected people at 50.

The civil surgeon of Lalmonirhat said an expert team from Dhaka, along with local fieldworkers, was working to contain the outbreak.

Meanwhile, the IEDCR has advised against drinking unprocessed date extracts, as fruit bats, the natural host of the Nipah virus, could contaminate the juice.

According to World Health Organisation, Nipah virus causes severe illness characterised by inflammation of the brain (encephalitis) or respiratory diseases.

It can be transmitted to humans from animals, and can also be transmitted directly from human-to-human. In Bangladesh, half of the reported cases between 2001 and 2008 were due to human-to-human transmission, the WHO website says.

It also said there is no treatment or vaccine available for either people or animals.

The IEDCR director added that the virus has a 75% mortality rate.

BD to earn billion dollars from outsourcing


DHAKA: Information technology and telecommunications experts hoped in a seminar that Bangladesh would earn one billion US dollars by 2015 from the outsourcing of voice over Internet protocol (VoIP) with proper grooming of the fastest-growing economic sector.

“Mobile operators around the world are concentrating on their business distinctiveness. They are appointing specialized outsourcing firms for IT services, network management, customer care and billing department,” said Sukanta Dey, former president of TATA Telecom Services.

The seminar was organized by REVE Systems at Bangladesh Association of Software and Information Services (BASIS) SoftExpo 2011 at the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre in the capital Thursday.

Addressing the seminar former president of BASIS Habibullah Karim said, “Bangladesh already ensured their place among 30 outsourcing destinations in the world.”

Moderating the seminar chief executive of REVE Systems M Rezaul Hasan said Bangladeshi entrepreneurs are leading in VoIP services industry.

Considering all this, outsourcing services can be taken for Bangladesh-based IT industry from the sectors around the world.

Managing Director of Agni Systems, an Internet Service Provider, Abdus Salam said Bangladesh has a huge potential in communications industries in the knowledge economy.

“But we need some changes in present rules and regulations to exploit the potentialities,” he said.

REVE Systems is connected with international market and a leading VoIP services and products provider. It has ISO certificate to provide services for telecom software, technology solution and telecommunications service providers around the world.

US Officials: US-Egypt discuss Mubarak quitting


The Obama administration is in talks with top Egyptian officials about the possible immediate resignation of Hosni Mubarak and the formation of an interim government that could prepare the country for free and fair elections later this year, U.S. officials said late Thursday.

Creation of a military-backed Caretaker Government in Egypt is one of several ideas being discussed as anti-Mubarak protests escalate in the streets of Cairo and other Egyptian cities, the officials said. Those protests are expected to grow in size and intensity on Friday and the administration fears they may erupt into more widespread violence unless the government takes tangible steps to address the protesters' main demand that Mubarak leave office.

The officials stressed the United States isn't seeking to impose a solution on Egypt but noted that the administration had made a judgment that Mubarak has to go soon if there is to be a peaceful resolution to the crisis. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive diplomatic talks, which are continuing. The talks about Mubarak's immediate departure were first reported by The New York Times.

White House and State Department spokesmen would not discuss details of the discussions U.S. officials are having with the Egyptians. Vice President Joe Biden spoke with Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman on Thursday, a day after a similar conversation between Suleiman and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. Officials said neither Biden nor Clinton made a specific call for Mubarak to resign immediately but pressed for measures that would ease tensions on the streets and set the stage for democratic elections.

"The president has said that now is the time to begin a peaceful, orderly and meaningful transition, with credible, inclusive negotiations," said White House national security spokesman Tommy Vietor on Thursday night. "We have discussed with the Egyptians a variety of different ways to move that process forward, but all of those decisions must be made by the Egyptian people."

An administration official said there is no single plan being discussed with the Egyptians.

Rather, the administration is pursuing different ideas with Egyptian figures on how to proceed quickly with a process that includes a broad range of voices and leads to free and fair elections — in essence, different ways to accomplish those goals.

Among those options is a proposal for Mubarak to resign immediately — which the embattled president has refused to do — and for Mubarak to cede power to a transitional government run by Suleiman.

But the official rejected the notion that the White House was trying to impose that idea and said it was not at all clear it would happen. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

The discussions come amid escalating violence between pro- and anti-Mubarak forces.

The United States on Thursday severely criticized what it called systematic attacks on journalists in Egypt and said they appeared to be an attempt to shut out reporting of even bigger anti-government demonstrations to come.

Clinton condemned "in the strongest terms" the pro-government mobs that beat, threatened and intimidated reporters in Cairo.

Attacks as well on peaceful demonstrators, human rights activists, foreigners and diplomats were "unacceptable under any circumstances," she said.

Clinton pointed the finger at Mubarak's government without explicitly blaming the 82-year-old president for the violence. She said, "It is especially in times of crisis that governments must demonstrate their adherence to these universal values,"

Egypt's government must hold accountable those responsible for the attacks and "must demonstrate its willingness to ensure journalists' ability to report on these events to the people of Egypt and to the world," she said.

Foreign photographers reported attacks by Mubarak supporters near Tahrir Square, the scene of vicious battles between Mubarak supporters and protesters demanding he step down after nearly 30 years in power.

The Egyptian government has accused media outlets of being sympathetic to protesters who want Mubarak to quit now rather than complete his term as he has pledged.

Among the many detained were correspondents for The New York Times, Washington Post and Al-Jazeera. Human rights groups said many activists also were taken away after a raid by the military police on a legal center in Cairo.

Thursday, 3 February 2011

BASIS SoftExpo kicks off

The largest software and IT exhibition of Bangladesh has kicked off.

Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith inaugurated the five-day BASIS SoftExpo- 2011 on Tuesday at Banglabandhu International Conference Centre.

Organised by Bangladeshi software developers, the exhibition will remain open from 10 am to 8pm.

Muhith lamented the software firms' dependence on foreign experts. "This needs to be changed."

Muhith said the government was thinking about establishing a number of firms to help information technology flourish. But "the organisations need to maintain a 'working relationship' with the government," he added.

Commerce Minister Faruk Khan, state minister for ICT Yasef Osman, president of BASIS Mahbub Zaman and director of access to information project under pm's office Nazrul Islam Khan also spoke at the program.

120 organizations from home and abroad are participating in the event in seven different zones.

The five-day long exhibition includes 20 seminars, different technical sessions, notun protivar Khoj (search for new talents), IT job fair and IT innovation search program.

The entry fee has been fixed at 30 taka. But Student having ID card will enter free of charge

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) receives WC trophy


The World Cup Cricket trophy has been handed over to Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) at 7pm in Mirpur Sher-e-Bangla Stadium by World Cup sponsor Honda.

BCB president, AHM Mustafa Kamal and others were present during the ceremony.

Earlier, the cup was kept at the Abahani ground until 6pm for photo session. From there it was taken to BCS Computer City at Agargaon followed by a ceremonial World Cup road show throughout the city.

The festive road show by Hero Honda was kicked off around 10:30am from Atlas Bangladesh Limited office at Tongi.

The cup arrived on a flight from India to the Shahjalal International Airport at 8:30am, Touhid Ahmed of the event management firm Eyestoppers told bdnews24.com.

This is for the fist time that Bangladesh has got the opportunity to host the world's top cricket event.

The opening ceremony of the cricket world cup will be held in Dhaka on Feb 17. Eight matches, including the first one on Feb 19, will also be held in Dhaka.

The cup will remain in Dhaka until the first match of the cricket extravaganza on Feb 19.

White House: Mubarak has chance to show who he is

The White House said Mubarak haschance to show the world "exactly who he is" by bringing desperately needed change to his country now.

Press Secretary Robert Gibbs also decried bloody violence happening in Cairo, where pro-government forces clashed with protesters a day after Mubarak announced he would not seek re-election in September. That wasn't good enough for the protesters, who want him out now.

"If any of the violence is instigated by the government it should stop immediately," Gibbs said, while declining to speculate whether the government was in fact behind the violence. Protesters contend plainclothes police are among the pro-government attackers.

`'The president found the images outrageous and deplorable," the press secretary said.

Gibbs said no decision had been made on cutting off the $1.5 billion in annual aid the U.S. provides Egypt but that it was still under review. Gibbs reiterated President Barack Obama's call from Tuesday night that transition in Egypt must begin now — but he didn't explain exactly what that meant or say whether Mubarak should resign now.

"Now means now," Gibbs said at the White House briefing.

"The people of Egypt need to see change, the people of Egypt need to see progress," he said.

Gibbs didn't directly answer when asked whether Obama viewed Mubarak as a dictator, saying the Egyptian president had a chance to show who he was. Mubarak has been an important ally to the U.S. during his 30-year reign, ensuring passage through the Suez Canal and maintaining peace with Israel, but for many Egyptian people they have been years of corrosive poverty, repression and corruption.

Gibbs avoided describing what a future government of Egypt might look like, or whether it was acceptable to the U.S. for Mubarak to preside over the transition to the next elections. Great uncertainty clouds the format of the transition and its ultimate outcome, but Gibbs would not say if one feared outcome — elevation of an Islamist fundamentalist regime — would be acceptable to the U.S.

Bangalore to stage India-England World Cup match


The ICC daid on 30 Jan' Monday that the India-England World Cup match on February 27 has been switched from Kolkata to Bangalore.

The high-profile game was taken away from Kolkata because of concerns about unfinished renovation work at the historic Eden Gardens stadium.

The ICC said in a statement that Bangalore had been confirmed as the venue.

In a letter to the India Board the ICC outlined a schedule of works that need to be carried out at Eden Gardens before the other scheduled fixtures at the ground.

The stadium is due to host SA v Ireland on March 15, Ireland v the Netherlands on March 18 and Zimbabwe v Kenya on March 20.

An ICC inspection team will visit Eden Gardens on February 7 to assess progress.

ICC chief said : "This decision now clarifies and gives us certainty over that fixture.

"We can now work with our various partners and stakeholders to make sure that the match -- along with the rest of the tournament -- is all it should be."

The ICC said it chose Bangalore for the February 27 match after it was recommended by the Board of Control for cricket in India (BCCI).

The world governing body had earlier rejected a plea by the Cricket Association of Bengal, which runs Eden Gardens, to reconsider its decision to remove the India-England match.

The ICC was concerned about work in the renovated stands of Eden Gardens, as well as corporate boxes, the media centre and the location of the radio commentary boxes.

The problems echoed similar trouble before the Delhi Commonwealth Games in October that were marred by severe delays in construction work and shoddy finishing.

Eden Gardens, one of India's most historic cricket venues, hosted the world cup final in 1987 and a semi-final in 1996.